Marijuana use is extremely common, especially here in Washington state, where medicinal and recreational use of marijuana and cannabis products are legal. Some recent statistics show that there are more marijuana users than there are people who smoke tobacco. If you use marijuana, you certainly aren’t alone. However, in some cases, marijuana addiction treatment in Spokane, WA, is necessary.
The popular belief is that marijuana is safe, “mild,” and cannot cause addiction. However, just because a substance is legal to use does not mean it is safe, or that it is healthy for you. Alcohol use is legal, but we certainly know that people can experience addiction to alcohol, which causes severe problems in their lives, health, and relationships.
The same thing can be true for marijuana. If you have worried about your own marijuana use, or wondered whether you use it too frequently, it may be time to step back and reevaluate. If you cannot make it through the day or week without using marijuana, or if you have greatly increased the amount you use, you may be dealing with an addiction.
Seeking addiction treatment services can help you address your marijuana use, understand your addiction, and make positive changes towards lasting recovery.
Signs of Marijuana Dependence or Addiction
Ask yourself the following questions as you think about your marijuana use.
- Do you need to use marijuana or cannabis products to go to sleep, or to feel calm or positive?
- Have you ever been in legal trouble, or trouble at your job, related to your marijuana use?
- Have you seen a decline in your performance at work or school because of using marijuana?
- Do you sometimes neglect your work, school, or family responsibilities because of marijuana use?
- Have you engaged in risky behaviors related to marijuana (such as driving while high)?
- Do you experience an increase in paranoia or anxiety?
- Have you lied about how much or how often you use marijuana to friends or family members?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it is an indication that your marijuana use is starting to interfere with your freedom to make healthy life choices. When this becomes an issue, it’s time to seek out marijuana addiction treatment.
Health Effects of Marijuana Use
Even though marijuana is seen as a “mild” drug, it still causes health effects for people who use it, especially if they use a lot. These effects can include:
- Chronic cough
- Frequent respiratory infections
- Mental health problems
- “Amotivational syndrome,” which can include a lack of desire to complete tasks, a sense of apathy about the future, poor concentration, and decreased interest in social or other activities
- For young people: May impair brain development, emotional development, and learning functions
- For pregnant people: marijuana use can cause babies born with problems with attention, memory, and problem solving
Effects of Marijuana Withdrawal
Compared to alcohol addiction or opioid addiction, the effects of withdrawing from marijuana can seem quite mild. Even so, if you stop using marijuana, you can expect to deal with some physical symptoms.
- Trouble sleeping
- Mood changes
- Increased feelings of depression
- Decreased appetite
Seeking Marijuana Addiction Treatment in Spokane, WA
If marijuana use is causing problems in your life, you can get the help you need to be free of those problems. We applaud your honesty about your desire to change your behaviors, and we believe that if you put effort into treatment, your life will change for the better. Learn more about what you can expect in treatment.
See our brief self-assessment that can help you ask and answer questions related to your marijuana use. The most important thing is understanding if marijuana use prevents you from living a full and healthy life. If it does, contact Spokane Falls Recovery Center at 844.962.2775 to learn about treatment options and learn about how life-changing recovery can be.