The choices can be overwhelming when seeking addiction or substance abuse treatment. When is residential treatment needed? When is a partial hospitalization program, right? Making decisions about what kind of treatment to pursue is very important to you or your loved one’s recovery journey. There is no “one size fits all” approach to addiction and recovery, so it makes sense to think carefully about your needs and what will work best for your life.
What Are the Different Levels of Care in an Addiction Treatment Center?
There are various levels of care in addiction treatment. It is not unusual for patients to transition from higher to lower levels as they progress in recovery. The levels of care commonly found in addiction treatment are:
- Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) – This level of care is still intensive, but patients go home in the evenings and on weekends rather than staying in the treatment center. This level of care is suitable for patients who do not require a medical detox or have already completed a period of residential treatment.
- Outpatient Treatment – Outpatient treatment is similar to a PHP but less intensive. Outpatient programs help patients in recovery transition out of more intensive programs and into community care.
- Community Care – This care level is similar to outpatient therapy. Patients have usually already completed one or more levels of a treatment program and are now maintaining their recovery.
It is important to remember that addiction treatment is not a linear process. Some patients may need to return to a higher level of care if they experience a setback in recovery. Others may never need anything more than community care. Finding the level of care right for you is crucial, and sticking with it until you are confident in your recovery.
Is a Partial Hospitalization Program Right for Me?
When is a partial hospitalization program, right? The best way to determine if a partial hospitalization program (PHP) is right for you is to discuss your needs and goals with a trained clinician. Some of the qualities that might make you or your loved one a good candidate for a PHP are:
- Either a supportive, recovery-friendly home environment or placement in a sober living house
- No need for medically-supervised detox
- High level of personal commitment to the recovery process
- Life commitments that would make it challenging to enter residential treatment
- Ability to benefit from trying out recovery skills in everyday life
If you believe PHP is your next step, we encourage you to reach out to our Spokane Falls Recovery Center team at 844.962.2775. They will help you determine if PHP is the right level of care and, if so, which program would be the best fit.
What Happens in a Partial Hospitalization Program?
In a PHP, patients receive several hours of individual and group counseling daily. Medical providers often see patients frequently to monitor and adjust any medications they may be taking. Patients in a PHP also participate in exercises and activities that help develop coping skills and strategies that support recovery.
Also, patients will be helped and encouraged to develop a strong support network to help them maintain their recovery as they move beyond the treatment phase. Since patients attend the program daily, there is still plenty of supervision. Still, patients have many opportunities to learn new skills and strategies outside treatment.
Spokane Falls Recovery Center Offers Partial Hospitalization Programs for Recovery
Our treatment center offers each patient exactly the level of care they need. Our patients are our partners, working together to develop the best possible plan to support them in their recovery journey. In our holistic, individualized programs, our patients will receive proven therapies to help them achieve and maintain a lasting recovery. If you or someone you love has been struggling with substance abuse or addiction, reach out to one of our caring and highly trained clinicians at 844.962.2775 and learn how we can discover a bright future together.